The time has finally arrived, Space Engineers Beta is LIVE on PlayStation.
Space Engineers, developed on PC, has sold almost 5 million copies and reached a worldwide audience. Now, more than three years after the successful release of Space Engineers on Xbox we are releasing Space Engineers for PlayStation.
PlayStation pre-orders are happening RIGHT NOW and early access has begun.
We are extremely excited about the response so far and looking forward to PlayStation players finally getting a chance to become Space Engineers. With full crossplay, Xbox, PC, and now PlayStation players can team up and explore Space Engineers on their platform of choice!
We feel very fortunate to have this opportunity to share our “Need to Create” and cannot wait to see what new creations are realized in the PlayStation community!
PlayStation & Space Engineers
Let’s start by addressing some of the most common topics we see discussed in our community. While we cannot cover every topic or every possible inquiry, we wanted to cover the most common topics and feature requests first. Additionally, we address a myriad of different topics in the FAQ section of this blog post.
- Crossplay: Our PlayStation release of Space Engineers will launch with Crossplay enabled. PC, Xbox, and PlayStation players will be able to team up on day one!
- Dedicated Servers: Yes, we will release with Epic Online Services (EOS) servers. These servers will be shared with Xbox and PC players. We are prepared to increase the pool of available public servers as we adjust for increased traffic.
- In-game scripting (Programmable Block): Scripting will not be available in single player or locally hosted multiplayer. This is simply a limitation of all the console platforms. Scripting will be available on dedicated servers.
- Mod support: Yes, mods will be supported with some restrictions. No client side scripting will be available.
- Mods, Worlds and Blueprints: Yes, of course, available through Mod.io. You can browse and subscribe to mods and blueprints in game. It is possible to share non-experimental mode creations between Xbox, PC, and PlayStation.
- Third party scenarios are not supported.
- PCU limits: PCU limits and restrictions will be identical to those seen on other platforms. These parameters will be consistent in single player as well as multiplayer, and in normal play as well as experimental play mode.
- PlayStation 4 – 100k, 200k (Experimental)
- PlayStation 4 Pro – 100k, 200k (Experimental)
- PlayStation 5 – 100k, 500k (Experimental)
What’s inside the PlayStation version?
We have stayed true to the vision of Space Engineers and delivered all of the key features from the PC version to the PlayStation.
However, these are the main differences:
- PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 4 Pro will support 4 player multiplayer (lobby)
- PlayStation 5 will support 8 player multiplayer (lobby)
- Dedicated servers will be available, on launch, through Nitrado.
- PlayStation 5 has a higher graphic setting (higher textures, better models, improved post processing) than PlayStation 4 Pro, which has higher settings than PlayStation 4.
- The settings are similar to the Xbox counterparts.
- Some large asteroids are not available
- Unknown signals are not supported
- No community translations
- All Armors cost 2 PCUs (instead of 1 PCU on PC)
- Third party scenarios are not supported
- All the first party scenarios are supported (First Jump, Learning to Survive, Never Surrender etc.), except for Lost Colony.
We are committed to bring all the future updates and DLCs to the PlayStation version of Space Engineer simultaneously with all other platforms.
Performance depends on the complexity of your world and which type of PlayStation you are playing on. Simple worlds run smoothly on PlayStation and PlayStation Pro while even better performance and a higher level of complexity (on worlds) is possible on the PlayStation 5.
How To Play
Choose your pathway to Space Engineers success and learn how to get the most exciting game experience using our Game Guides.
Join the Beta
Excited about Space Engineers coming to PlayStation? You can join the Beta right now!
Finding Space Engineers on PS4 &PS5
Finding the correct version of Space Engineers for your purchase is fairly straightforward.
If you head to the store via browser you will be able to get the PlayStation version of Space Engineers by either following our provided link, or by simply heading to the store and searching “Space Engineers”.
Thanks to PlayStation Cross-buy, this purchase works on both PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®5 – you can play Space Engineers on both platforms.
Alternatively, you can find Space Engineers by searching PlayStation™Store while on your PlayStation console.
- Open the PlayStation™Store on your PlayStation®4 or PlayStation®5.
- Head to the Search feature and enter “Space Engineers”.
- The correct version will be available for purchase and install.
Limitations of Beta
- Textures from Mods are not properly loaded
- PS5 performance is 60fps, but not yet stable enough
- PS4 Pro performance is 30fps
- There may be stability issues
We will work hard to improve on the mentioned issues during the Beta period.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: How do I report an issue?
A: Please contact us with your bugs, and feedback here: https://support.keenswh.com
Q: Looking for your fellow Space Engineers?
A: Join our official Discord community here: https://discord.gg/keenswh
Q: Will the PlayStation version be different from the PC version?
A: No, we expect this release to stay true to our vision of Space Engineers and include all of the core features we see on PC. Nevertheless, we had to reduce some complexity settings to deliver the smooth performance on the PlayStation 4 hardware.
Q: Will the PlayStation version be different from the Xbox version?
A: No. Console ports are identical and performing very similarly to their generation counterparts (Xbox One = PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X = PlayStation 5).
Q: Will you release an Ultimate edition?
A: Yes, you can buy the Ultimate Edition right now!
Q: When will Space Engineers release on PlayStation?
A: Our beta release date is May 11th.
Q: Will I be able to play with my friends that have the PC/XBOX version?
A: Our PlayStation release of Space Engineers will launch with Crossplay enabled. PC, Xbox, and PlayStation players will be able to team up on day one!
Q: Will there be dedicated servers?
A: Yes, we will release with Epic Online Services (EOS) servers. These servers will be shared with Xbox and PC players. We are prepared to increase the pool of available public servers as we adjust for increased traffic.
Q: Will there be mod support?
A: Yes, mods will be fully supported with some restrictions. No client side scripting will be available. For Mods and Blueprints we will continue to use Mod.io.
Q: Will there be scripting available?
A: You can execute your script when connected to Dedicated Server which enables support for in-game scripting.
Q: Will there be mouse and keyboard support?
Q: On official servers, can other players join the server, find and raid my built base? Does everything stay when I log out?
A: Yes, you can create offline protection in the form of “Safe Zones” and ensure your base is safe while you are away.
Q: Will there be options for automated tasks like grinding/welding?
A: Yes, automation is a big focus of our game – especially with our latest update Automatons.